Next Book Club Meeting: Friday, December 13, 2019, 6pm
Reading: Way Station by Clifford D. Simak (Jonathan)
What are we reading in the near future? I’m glad you asked.
We’re starting a new list! Here’s a tentative list of the books we’ll likely read in the near future – listed alphabetically by the member who chose them, not in reading order:
- Wanderers by Chuck Wendig or Severance by Ling Ma or Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente or Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik or Tiamat’s Wrath by James S. A. Corey or Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia or The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson or Machines Like Me by Ian McEwan (Carmen)
- Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (Jason)
- Extracted by R.R. Haywood (Tim)
* Note: you have to be attending meetings for your book selection to be eligible as the next reading choice.
Read the current book selection so we can discuss it. Since the Show & Tell worked so well at our last meeting, we’ve decided to continue it. So also bring a few of any other books you’ve read this month and be prepared to tell the rest of us about them: short and sweet, no spoilers, and what you thought of them. Of course we can talk about the movies and TV shows we’ve watched, too.
Our discussions are always lively and fun. We talk about related books, movies and TV shows, as well as new releases and whatever else is on our minds. It’s always good fun.
If geeky conversation sounds appealing to you, then perhaps you’d like to join us.
New people bring fresh perspectives and reading choices. So we always welcome newcomers and make it really easy for you to join in the fun. Just read the book we’re currently reading – listed above – and attend the next meeting – also listed above. It’s that easy to join The Sci Fi & Fantasy Book Club!
Once you’ve attended a few meetings, you can add a book title to our upcoming reading list, too.
If you’d like to be reminded of upcoming meeting days, times and titles, join our Book Club Meetup Group at: www.meetup.com/Here-Be-Books-and-Games-Book-Club. Meetup will send automatic reminders by text and/or email.
To give you an idea of the range of sci fi and fantasy explorations, I’ve provided cover pictures of all the books discussed in our book club meetings since the club’s inception. Further on, after a brief history of the club, is a textual listing of the book titles.
(most recent listed first)
The Sci Fi & Fantasy Book Club was founded in January 2013 by Jim Placzkiewicz, aka horror writer Jim Pyer. The first book we read was Jim’s pick, Cloud Atlas, which no one liked much. Since then we’ve read many excellent books – some more loved than others. Regardless of the book choice, we always have a good time discussing it and whatever other books, movies, tv series, and geeky subjects that come up during the conversation.
Following, is a complete list of the books the Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Club has read – most recent listed first. The member who selected each title is provided in parentheses.
(most recent listed first)
- Way Station by Clifford D. Simak (Jonathan)
- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (Jeff)
- Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock (Jason)
- Explaining Cthulhu to Grandma and Other Stories by Alex Shvartsman (Diane)
- Brilliance by Marcus Sakey (Joyce)
- Dragon Wing by Tracy Hickman (Bill)
- Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon James (Carmen)
- The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie (Jonathan)
- The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (Zach)
- Murder of Crows by Kevin Kauffmann (Jeff)
- Winter of the Gods by Jordanna Max Brodsky (Tina)
- The Immortals by Jordanna Max Brodsky (Carmen)
- Dance of Cloaks by David Dalglish (Jeff)
- Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Jonathan)
- Rune Service by J.B. Garner (Diane)
- So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane (Jeff)
- The Witch Who Came in from the Cold by Lindsay Smith (Carmen)
- Neuromancer by William Gibson (Tim)
- Hounded (Iron Druid series) by Kevin Hearne (Aubrey)
- Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds (Zach)
- Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (Tina)
- Jhereg by Steven Brust (Jason)
- The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein (Zach)
- Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Melissa)
- Altered Carbon by Richard Mogran (Tina)
- Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold (Jason)
- Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Diane)
- Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Jonathan)
- Star Tide Rising by David Brin (Carmen)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Jason)
- The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore (Tina)
- The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (Theresa)
- Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (Tim)
- Do Comets Dream? (Star Trek: TNG) by S. P. Somtow (Diane)
- Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher (Jonathan)
- Destroyer Men #1: Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson (Carmen)
- Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Ted)
- Dawn by Octavia Butler (Tim)
- Minerva Wakes by Holly Lisle (Brandie)
- The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher (Tina)
- Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Jason)
- Fluke Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Carmen)
- Legend by David Gemmell (Jonathan)
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Jason)
- Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin (Diane)
- Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts (Tina)
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Tim)
- The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny by L. Sprague DeCamp & David Drake (Brandie)
- Gnome Man’s Land by Ester Friesner (Stacey)
- The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry (Brandie)
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (Tina)
- Earth Abides by George Stewart (Jonathan)
- Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Tina)
- Mad Amos by Alan Dean Foster (Diane)
- Replay by Ken Grimwood (Tim)
- The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Jason)
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford (Stacey)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Allen)
- Fire in the Mist by Holly Lisle (Brandie)
- Winter’s Tale by Mark Helprin (Tim)
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Tina)
- At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft (Diane)
- Wool by Hugh Howey (Josie)
- Bloodlist by P. N. Elrod (Tina)
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Leigh)
- Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (Brandie)
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (Bill)
- Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (Allen)
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (Jonathan)
- The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (Jason)
- Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Tim)
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Jim)