Currently Reading: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Melissa)
Next Book Club Meeting: Friday, July 7, 6pm
The Sci-Fi & Fantasy Book Club meets once a month at Here Be Books & Games. We read fantasy and science fiction, old and new, including urban fantasy and alternate history. Attending members each suggest a book to read for our reading list. Then we pick one book to read each month – usually the one we’ve found the most copies of – until they’re all read. At which time, we start a new list.
We usually meet the Friday after Game Night at 6 p.m. at Here Be Books & Games. Game Night is the first Saturday of every month, so the Book Club meets the the 1st or 2nd Friday of the month.
What are we reading in the near future? I’m glad you asked.
We’ve started a new list! Still waiting one more. Here are the books we’ll likely read in the near future – listed alphabetically by the member who chose them, not in reading order:
- Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell (Carmen)
- Explaining Cthulhu to Grandma and Other Stories by Alex Shvartsman or Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines (Diane)
- The Thread that Binds the Bones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Tim)
- The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein (Zach)
* Note: you have to be attending meetings for your book selection to be eligible as the next reading choice.
While the person who chose the book we’re currently reading usually has some discussion questions prepared to focus our conversation, we do have a tendency to veer off into other topics. Regardless, our discussions are always lively and fun. We talk about related books, movies and tv shows, as well as new releases and whatever else is on our minds. It’s always good fun.
If geeky conversation sounds appealing to you, then perhaps you’d like to join us.
New people bring fresh perspectives and reading choices. So we always welcome newcomers and make it really easy to join in the fun. Just read the book we’re currently reading – listed above – and attend for the next meeting – also listed above. It’s that easy to join The Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Club at Here Be Books & Games.
Once you’ve attended a few meetings, you can add a book title to our upcoming reading list, too.
If you’d like to be reminded of upcoming meeting days, times and titles, join our Book Club Meetup Group at: www.meetup.com/Here-Be-Books-and-Games-Book-Club. Meetup will send automatic reminders by text and/or email.
To give you an idea of the range of sci fi and fantasy explorations, I’ve provided cover pictures of all the books discussed in our book club meetings since the club’s inception. Further on, after a brief history of the club, is a textual listing of the book titles.
The Sci Fi & Fantasy Book Club – originally called the ParaNatural Book Club – was founded in January 2013 by Jim Placzkiewicz, aka horror writer Jim
Pyer. The first book we read was Jim’s pick, Cloud Atlas – which no one really liked much. Since then we’ve read many excellent books, though – some more loved than others.
Regardless of the book selection, we’ve always had a good time discussing it – or bashing it in a kind way – and talking about whatever other books, movies, tv series, and geeky subjects on our minds.
Following, is a complete list of the books the Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Club has read – most recent listed first. The member who selected each title is provided in parentheses.
- Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Melissa)
- Altered Carbon by Richard Mogran (Tina)
- Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold (Jason)
- Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Diane)
- Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Jonathan)
- Star Tide Rising by David Brin (Carmen)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Jason)
- The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore (Tina)
- The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (Theresa)
- Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (Tim)
- Do Comets Dream? (Star Trek: TNG) by S. P. Somtow (Diane)
- Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher (Jonathan)
- Destroyer Men #1: Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson (Carmen)
- Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Ted)
- Dawn by Octavia Butler (Tim)
- Minerva Wakes by Holly Lisle (Brandie)
- The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher (Tina)
- Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Jason)
- Fluke Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Carmen)
- Legend by David Gemmell (Jonathan)
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Jason)
- Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin (Diane)
- Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts (Tina)
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Tim)
- The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny by L. Sprague DeCamp & David Drake (Brandie)
- Gnome Man’s Land by Ester Friesner (Stacey)
- The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry (Brandie)
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (Tina)
- Earth Abides by George Stewart (Jonathan)
- Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Tina)
- Mad Amos by Alan Dean Foster (Diane)
- Replay by Ken Grimwood (Tim)
- The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Jason)
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford (Stacey)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Allen)
- Fire in the Mist by Holly Lisle (Brandie)
- Winter’s Tale by Mark Helprin (Tim)
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Tina)
- At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft (Diane)
- Wool by Hugh Howey (Josie)
- Bloodlist by P. N. Elrod (Tina)
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Leigh)
- Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (Brandie)
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (Bill)
- Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (Allen)
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (Jonathan)
- The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (Jason)
- Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Tim)
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Jim)