Virtual Board Gaming via Here Be Books & Games’ Discord Server
Throughout the pandemic, we’ve utilized a variety of tools to continue gaming with each other. The simplest and most proven method, which we are currently using, is super simple and easy to use, so you can ignore the technology and concentrate on having fun gaming. All you need is a free Board Game Arena account and Discord. Discord is available as an app for any smartphone, tablet or computer. Alternatively, you can visit the Discord web site with your computer’s web browser. It’s that simple!
When do we play?
Feel free to join us whenever is convenient for you during the specified time block. We’ll work you into a game as soon as we can.
- Wednesdays 5 pm to 7 pm or later
- Saturdays 1 pm to 7 pm or later
How It Works
We gather on our Discord server (set up specially for us by Brent) and play games on Board Game Arena.
When you login to our Discord server, go to the looking-for-game text and voice channels to see who’s in attendance and what we’re playing. If no one’s present, wait a bit and/or check the latest messages to see if anyone’s posted that they’re going to be late.
Feel free to jump in on any conversation to let us know you’ve arrived. That way we can make sure to include you in the next game.
Leaving Discord open (either the app or in your browser), visit Board Game Arena (in a new tab if you’re accessing Discord via your web browser). If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up for one FREE. We’ll help you from there. We’ll even teach you how to play! It’s super easy, trust me!
If there are too many people for one game, we can break out into groups by utilizing the other Game Room Voice Channels. It only takes a click to switch between rooms.
Need help? There are plenty of virtual gaming veterans to help you, including: Tina (tgmcduff), Tim (tvar), Liz (LunarFlower), Diane (DianeSt), Robyn (rrtatu) and Brent (AllHailKngTorg).
We’ve been hosting games virtually for over a year now and have become old hands at it. The variety of games we can play keeps expanding as Board Game Arena adds more and more games to their web site.
There’s no charge to join us for Virtual Gaming. We’d of course appreciate it if you bought games from our store, though. Our brick and mortar store is open Tuesdays, Wednesday, Fridays and Saturdays and our online store is open 24/7. We also offer contactless curbside pickup and local delivery.
How to Join Us Our Discord Server
To join in the fun, please do the following now, before the next gaming session, so you’ll be all setup and ready to go when the gaming begins:
- Join our Discord server: HBBnGVirtualGaming.
- Sign up for a free account on Board Game Arena.
You may also want to sign up for accounts on the following web sites to have access to a wider variety of games. This is totally optional, as we mostly play on Board Game Arena now.
- Yucata. Yucata will send you a confirmation email you’ll have to open and click on to confirm your account before they’ll give you access to their server. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the email to go through.
Feel free to call Tina at (843) 695-1498 if you need assistance or want to do a test run before our next Virtual Gaming session. We’re happy to help you get started.
COVID-19 crisis. We can hear each others’ voices and see each others’ faces and have fun playing games while still maintaining social distancing from the safety of our homes. It’s not exactly the same as playing together in person, but it’s a close second. We’d love for you to join us!
Board Game Arena, Yucata & Boiteajeux
You can play games for free on Board Game Arena, Yucata and Boiteajeux. Premium membership on Board Game Arena costs as little as $24/year and provides access to additional games and the ability to turn on video and audio chat when you host a game. We mostly use Discord for audio chat, though.
Notable Games Available on Board Game Arena
- 6 nimmt!TF
- 7 Wonders* TF
- Can’t StopTF
- Carcassonne* TF
- Castles of Burgundy
- Clans of Caledonia*
- Color PopTF
- Dice Forge
- Forbidden Island*
- Lewis & Clark
- Lost Cities* TF
- Love Letter*
- Lucky NumberTF
- Potion Explosion* TF
- Puerto Rico
- Roll for the Galaxy*
- Russian Railroads
- Stone AgeTF
- Sushi Go!*
- Voyages of Marco Polo
* Premium. Requires a player with Premium membership to host.
TF Tablet Friendly. Tested on a tablet and works well.
Notable Games Available on Yucata
- Carcassonne South Seas
- Castles of Burgundy
- Las Vegas
- Machi Koro
- Oracle of Delphi
- Voyages of Marco Polo
Notable Games Available on Boiteajeux
- Castles of Burgundy
- Nations: The Dice Game
The following info is archived from earlier virtual gaming experiments. You don’t need it now to game with us virtually. It’s just here in case anyone wants to game via video conference.
Web Ex by Cisco Video Conferencing App
We use the Web Ex video conferencing app by Cisco to play a variety of roll-and-write games, party games, and storytelling games. The first games we hosted virtually were via Web Ex. We’ve since evolved our virtual gaming to include lots more games by utilizing Discord and a variety of gaming web sites and apps. Following is the URL you’ll need for any games played on Web Ex and details on acquiring the app and signing up for an account as well as a list of games we typically play via this medium.
Web Ex Video Conferencing URL:
Where to Get the Web Ex by Cisco App
Get the Web Ex by Cisco app at webex.com.
Click the Start for Free button to sign up for a FREE account and download the app. Available for iOS and Android phones and tablets, as well as desktop computers.
Games We’ve Been Playing Via Web Ex Video Conferencing
- Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game
- Ganz Schon Clever (That’s Pretty Clever)
- Hex Roller
- Just One
- Legacy of Dragonholt
- Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
- Welcome to…
- Welcome to Spring
IMPORTANT: Please get the app and sign up for an account well before your first gaming session with us. If you want to run a test before game time, call us at (843) 695-1498.
Tabletopia and Tabletop Simulator
Tabletopia and Tabletop Simulator are both online sandbox arenas for playing board games similar to real life. Tabletop Simulator is available on Steam for about $20. Numerous free workshops are available for oodles of board games, as well as, games that require purchase from both places. Neither has an AI to enforce the rules.
Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game Scoresheets
If you want to play one of the Spymasters, get the free Codenames Gadget app for iOS or Android.
The first Spymaster will choose a Random grid, note the number and relay it to the second Spymaster. The second Spymaster enters that number on their app so they can both see the same grid.
Ganz Schon Clever Scoresheets
- Ganz Schon Clever Scoresheets – Low Ink original and challenge
Hex Roller Scoresheets
- Hex Roller scoresheets – Low Ink – please DO NOT share or repost
La Granja: No Siesta Scoresheet
Legacy of Dragonholt Materials
- Legacy of Dragonholt Character Sheets
- Tina – Tynvae Brightspring, Young Adult Female Dawnsmoor Elf Apothecary
- Tim – Sir Leopold Farnas, Young Adult Male Baronial Human Knight
- Liz – Varrush, The Seeker, Old Male Hyrrinx Catfolk Sage
- Kalissa – Ghetti Snowstalker, Middle Aged Female Tribal Orc Wildlander
- Diane – Billaby Tumpkin, Middle Aged Male Wanderer Gnome Brawler
- Adnan – Cray Moor’sun, Young Adult Male Dawnsmoor Elf Sage
- Suf – Jimmy, Young Adult Male Human Thief
- Hilde, Adult Female Dunwarr Dwarf Thief
- Kei Dawnstar, Young Adult Trans Female Free City Human Bard
- Letter from Celyse
- Dragonholt Village Map – part 1
- Dragonholt Village Map – part 2
- Dragonholt Village Map – part 3
- Sonia’s Journal – page 1
- Sonia’s Journal – page 2
- Sonia’s Journal – page 3
- Sonia’s Journal – page 4
- Sonia’s Journal – page 5
- Sonia’s Journal – page 6
- Sonia’s Journal – page 7
- Sonia’s Journal – page 8
- Sonia’s Journal – page 9
- Sonia’s Journal – page 10
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Materials
The Thames Murders
Please read The Times newspaper(s) for the date of the current case and prior before the next game. You’ll find tidbits that pertain to the case at hand. We’re currently on Case 2, so please read March 12, 1888 and June 11, 1888.
- London Directory
- Map of London
- The Times: March 12, 1888 – Applies to Cases 1-10, Munitions Magnate and after
- The Times: June 11, 1888 – Applies to Cases 2-10, The Tin Soldier and after
- The Times: July 4, 1888 – Applies to Cases 3-10
- The Times: August 17, 1888 – Applies to Cases 4-10
- The Times: March 5, 1889 – Applies to Cases 5-10
- The Times: April 12, 1889 – Applies to Cases 6-10
- The Times: April 11, 1890 – Applies to Cases 7-10
- The Times: June 4, 1890 – Applies to Cases 8-10
- The Times: June 26, 1890 – Applies to Cases 9-10
- The Times: January 22, 1891 – Applies to Case 10
Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures
- The Times:
Carlton House & Queen’s Park
- The Times:
Welcome To… Scoresheets
If you don’t have a printer or would just prefer to save paper, a Welcome to… scoresheet app is available for both Android and iOS devices. However, it currently only features the base game’s scoresheet.