Board Game Rentals
We rent board games!
Need a game quickly for an event or party?
- Been dying to play a game, but don’t want to buy it until you’ve tried it?
- Now you can try it, before you buy it with our board game rental program!
- If you buy the game right after renting it, we’ll apply your rental fee towards the purchase price. So you got to try the game for free!
- We offer an extensive game library from which you can rent.
How It Works
To rent a game at Here Be Books & Games, you simply need the following:
- A full account with Here Be Books & Games (free to set up), including your full name, physical address, voice and text-enabled phone number, and an email address.
- Provide a government issued photo ID. (Required at the time of each rental.)
- Be 18 years or older.
- Have a signed Rental Agreement and Credit Card Authorization on file with us.
Standard (3-day) Rental Fees are $3, $5, $7.50 or $10, depending on the value and complexity of the game and whether it includes one or more expansions. Each game’s Extended (7-day) Rental Fee is double the game’s Standard Rental Fee.
Rental Periods and Due Dates
The Standard game rental period is 3 days. For example, if you rent a game on Tuesday, it is due back at our store before close on Friday. Extended rentals are for 7 days. For example, if you rent a game on Tuesday for an extended rental period, it is due back the following Tuesday.
If you do not return a game by its due date, you will accrue late fees at the rate of $3 per day. (See Late Fees below.)
If a game’s due date falls on a day Here Be Books & Games is closed (i.e. Sunday, Monday, Thursday or a Holiday), it must be returned the next day we‘re open. You get a free extra rental day. This means you can maximize your play time by renting a game on a Friday or 3 days before a holiday.
Games must be picked up and dropped off inside Here Be Books & Games’ store during posted store hours. We do not have a drop box.
If you decide you like the game and want to purchase a new copy when you return the rental, we will apply your rental fee* to the purchase price. If we don’t have the game in stock, we will try to order it for you. If that game title is out-of-print, we may offer you the option to purchase the actual game you rented.
* Any late fees or reorganization fees accrued will not be applied to the purchase price.
You agree to return the game in the EXACT condition in which you received it: with all of its pieces, the parts bagged, cards still in sleeves, etc. No alterations or attachments may be made to the game. We’ve included a handy checklist in each game so you can make sure no pieces are missing. We’ll use this list, too, when we inspect the game after its return.
A $2 Reorganization Fee will be charged for games returned in disarray.
If you attempt to return a game that is missing components or is damaged in any way, we reserve the right to charge your credit card for the full MSRP of the game and any expansions and/or extra components inside.
You further agree to keep the game in your possession. That is, you will not lend it to someone else. You also agree to refrain from any activities that can affect the condition of the game while playing it, including, but not limited to smoking and/or eating.
If you do not return a game by its due date, you will accrue late fees at the rate of $3 per day.
If your game rental is more than 4 days late, we reserve the right to charge your credit card the full MSRP of the game and any expansions and/or extra components inside, plus any late fees already accrued – the game then becomes yours. We may also revoke your rental privileges.
Communication & Good Faith
Please communicate with us as soon are you know or discover any of the following:
- If a game is incomplete when you get it (notify us within 24 hours). You may return it and exchange it for another game.
- When damage or loss occurs to a game while in your guardianship.
- If you will not be able to return a game by its due date and when you will be able to return it.
You can reach us by phone or text at (843) 695-1498. If you’re calling after hours or on a day we’re not open, please leave a message or send a text message.
Missing Pieces, Damage or Loss
It is your responsibility to check that all the parts are present when you receive a game and that all parts are returned in the box by the rental’s due date. To assist with this, we have included a Contents List to make it easier for you to inventory the game.
Shortly after you return a game, we will inspect it to check for missing pieces and damage. If any parts or instructions are missing:
- We will call or text you and ask you to look for the missing pieces. You will be allowed a 3 day grace period to find and return the missing pieces.
- If the missing pieces are not found or the game is damaged in any way, we reserve the right to charge your credit card for the full retail price of the game, plus any expansions or extra components contained therein. The game will then become your property and you’ll need to pick it up.
Credit Card Authorization
You agree to authorize us to keep your credit card on file and give us permission to charge your credit card for:
- Any Late Fees accrued.
- Any applicable Reorganization Fees.
- Game loss or damage.
Safety and Choking Hazard Warnings
Games rented from Here Be Books & Games are not intended to be used or accessed by children under ten years of age without adult supervision. If you allow any child under the age of ten to play, use or access a game rented from Here Be Books & Games, you do so at your own risk. By renting a game, you acknowledge that it may contain pieces, plastic bags, and/or other components that may pose a choking hazard to a child if left unattended. The game’s packaging, inserts and instruction manuals may contain age recommendations and warnings regarding safety which you must heed for your personal safety and the safety of those who may come in contact with the game while it is in your possession. By using this rental service, you accept full responsibility for the safe use of any game rented until it is returned.
May I rent multiple games at the same time?
New rental customers may only rent one game at a time. Established customers may rent up to two games at a time.
What’s the maximum rental duration?
Games can be rented for 3 days (standard) or 7 days (extended).
How much does it cost to rent a game?
Standard 3-Day Game Rental Fees are $3, $5, $7.50 or $10, depending on the value and complexity of the game.
Extended 7-Day Game Rental Fees are double the game’s Standard Rental Fee.
Am I renting a brand new copy of the game?
No. You are renting an open copy from our Board Game Library.
May I purchase the game after renting it?
Yes. When you return the game, you may of course buy a new copy. If you buy a new copy when you return the rental, we‘ll apply your rental fee* towards the purchase price. This means it costs you nothing to try a game if you buy it directly after a rental.
* Discount does not include late fees.
When I buy a game after renting it, do I get a new copy?
Yes. In most cases, the game you’ll be purchasing is a brand new copy.
Occasionally, we may offer the rental game itself for sale. Usually only when the game is out-of-print or being removed from our library.