Root is a game of adventure and war in which players battle for control of a vast wilderness. It's a game of woodlands might and right.
In Root, two to four intrepid players attemp to rule a fantastic forest kingdom in the ultimate asymmetric game of adventure and war. Each player has unique abilities and a different victory condition.
Players drive the narrative in Root. The differences between each role create an unparalleled level of interaction and replayability.
Play as the:
- Marquise de Cat - Dominate the woods, extracting its riches and policing its inhabitants. Play a game of engine building and logistics. By collecting wood, you can produce workshops, lumber mills and barracks. Win by building new buildings and crafts.
- Eyrie Dynasties - Regain control of the woods while keeping your squabbling court at bay. Muster your hawks to take back the woods. Capture as much territory as possible and build roosts.
- Woodland Alliance - Gather supporters and coordinate revolts against the ruling regime. Hide in the shadows and hatch conspiracies. You'll begin slowly, and can build towards a dramatic late-game presence - but only if you manage to keep the other players in check.
- Vagabond - Seek fame and fortune as you forge alliances and rivalries with the other players. Play all sides of the conflict for your own gain, while hiding a mysterious quest. Explore the board, fight other factions and work towards achieving your hidden goal.
Each game includes...
- Cards, counters, and faction boards featuring hand drawn illustrations be Kyle Ferrin.
- Over fifty screen painted wooden warriors.
- A two-sided (autumn & winter) mounted map.
- A rules reference and robust learning to play manual so you can start playing in minutes!
Suggested Ages: 10 and up
Number of Players: 2 to 4
Playing Time: 60 to 90 minutes
Designer: Wehrle, Cole
Illustrator: Kyle Ferrin
Publisher: Leder Games
Awards & Honors